August 19, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Tropes You Hate

These bookish memes are probably going to compromise quite a bit of my blog until I get settled into college and formulate a schedule with time to blog. I apologize ahead of time.

Top 5 Tropes You Hate

5. Pointless journeys
There are so many books where there is this epic journey that in all honesty could have been avoided if the characters had an ounce of damn common sense. For instance in Lord of the Rings, they use the eagles to get back from Mordor but they had to walk there... Excuse me, couldn't the eagles have just, I don't know, flown them there and back like an airplane???

4. Overly hormonal/dramatic teenagers
As a 17 year old, I like to think I know teens pretty well. Whenever I read books with teens that are just so horny or extremely dramatic, especially when it comes to declaring their love for someone after just an eye glance, I want to roll my eyes. Maybe I'm different and had a different experience with people my age, but I think the portrayal of teens is not accurate.

3. Unaware parents
There are books where the teens do whatever the hell they want, whether it is sex and drinking or going on some road trip without a trace of their parents. I don't know about y'all, but my parents were all up in my business when I was at home. They knew wherever I went and when. I can't believe these books where the parents seem so neglectful or just plain absent.

2. Instalove to the max
I hate when two people barely know each other but they are madly in love with one another and they will go to great lengths for each other. No. Just no. I like my best friends a lot, but damn even I'm not that selfless. I just find it ridiculous that people will just do that in books. Do people do this in the real world? 

1. A girl or boy needs a girl or boy to come into their life and fall in love with them in order to change themselves and their life
You have no idea how much this pisses me off. I believe human beings are capable of change without having to have someone pressure them into it, or to have someone love them. I find it ludicrous that these characters rely so heavily on another person in order to change the problems in their life. Yeah, I understand that their are situations where another person can help jumpstart the change, but in so many books it takes another person's love for them to change. 

What do you guys think? Do you agree? Disagree? What are some tropes you hate? Tell me in the comments below. I would love to hear what you think. It might take me awhile to see your comments, but I will respond, I promise you!

Join the conversation!

  1. I SO agree with you on #1. It's the most irritating thing EVER. You don't need to find a romantic interest for your life to completely change because that's all in YOUR hands! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instalove is so irritating because if this was real life they probably wouldn't last! And I hate it when teens are overly dramatic. Calm down

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg this is the best!! You had me laughing the entire read haha. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you about these, especially pointless journeys! Those always drive me crazy when I'm reading a book-Lord of the Rings is for sure a prime example of that.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment down below because I would love to hear your thoughts. To ensure you see my reply, make sure to click "Notify Me".