August 3, 2015

"Hopeless" Review


15717943

Book: Hopeless
Author: Colleen Hoover

Format: Ebook

Page Count: 488

Publisher: Atria Books

My Rating: ★★1/2

Synopsis: Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

Recommended for readers 17+ due to sexual content, harsh language and heavy subject matter.

      So I read this book for #BOOKTUBEATHON 2015. I had extremely high hopes for this book because I absolutely love Colleen Hoover's writing. I read Maybe Someday earlier this year and it just might be my favorite book of this year because it was just so damn beautiful. Much to my disappointment, I did not like this book at all. I didn't think the writing was good as normal and I didn't care for the plot. To me the plot was extremely predictable. I mean I predicted everything from start to finish at the beginning.

      I think a huge problem was I couldn't relate to anything. The romance between the two characters just seemed too fake. I found myself thinking if people actually behave like this. Are people really that horny and emotionally attracted to one another. Also do people who barely know each other become that attached so quickly. Especially for teenagers? Some of their actions and thoughts just seemed so unrealistic for teenagers. Maybe because I have never experienced anything like that and I am asexual. And the sex really bothered me because I felt like it happened for the wrong reasons and just seemed off to me. I just don't know because that has never really been too much of a problem for me before but it really bugged me this time. I guess it all boils down to I'm getting tired to "you're the one troupe". I'm tired of a girl being a certain way and it takes a boy coming into her life to magically make her fall in love with him and change who she is and her life. No. It doesn't work like that. I know literature isn't necessarily supposed to be realistic all of the time and in cases like this it should make people happier, but damn it I'm tired of reading this over and over again. The only redeemable part of this book was bits of the ending.

      I also didn't really care for Holder and Sky, individually or as a couple. Nothing about Holder spoke out to me. I didn't find myself attracted to him. Quite the opposite actually he creeped me out. I don't care that he know Sky when she was younger and that he supposedly loves her and all that, you do not climb into the house of someone who barely knows you through their window and get in their bed without permission. That is creepy as hell. It doesn't matter if you think you love that person, you have to business doing that. I felt like he had a savior complex and was extremely possessive. I mean, I understand where his savior complex come from and why he is possessive of Sky, but I still didn't like it. Also this is a personal pet peeve of mine but every time Holder called Sky "baby" I wanted to vomit. I don't know, couples call each other baby is gross to me. And Sky... she irritated me. Outside of her love for books, I couldn't identify with her and found myself frustrated with her. She was so wishy washy with her beliefs and actions. Yes basically all of her problems can be attributed to the abuse she sustained as a child, but I just felt she went about the wrong way handling herself. And how could she just let Holder into her life so quickly like that? I don't get it. Maybe I'm just more logical than her and I can emotionally separate myself from people and situations. As a couple, I just felt like a lot of it was purely physical. The make out scenes, dry humping, and sex scenes just weird me out more than they usual do. And I didn't even care when they first kissed because them as a couple does nothing for me.

      The one character I actually liked in this book was Karen. Karen was the bomb and I respected her for everything she did and for being such a good person. She went through hell and was able to make someone else's life better.

      As for Sky's dad. Fuck him and he got what he deserved.

      Overall this book just really disappointed me, revolted me at times, and kind of pissed me off. And I'm sorry for ranting and swearing but I just had to get my genuine thoughts out there.

Join the conversation!

Please leave a comment down below because I would love to hear your thoughts. To ensure you see my reply, make sure to click "Notify Me".